ISO 41001:2018 - Facility Management System
What is ISO 41001:2018, Facility Management System?
Facility management system (FMS) integrates multiple disciplines in order to have an influence on the efficiency and productivity of economies of societies, communities and organizations, as well as the manner in which individuals interact with the built environment. Facility Management System (FMS) affects the health, well-being and quality of life of much of the world’s societies and population through the services it manages and delivers.
While Facility management system (FMS) has such a broad impact, recognition of its principles and practices at a global level has been lacking. ISO 41001:2018 provides the basis for a common interpretation and understanding of Facility management and the ways in which it can benefit organizations of all kinds.
The development of the market for Facility management services would be enhanced by the presence of a common global structure and supporting standard. The sector benefits from a common basis upon which Facility management can be assessed and measured. This is the primary driver for, and purpose of ISO 41001:2018, Facility Management System (FMS).
In a globally-competitive environment, Facility management organizations and providers need to communicate among themselves and with interested parties using common principles, concepts and terms, including assessment and measurement of performance. ISO 41001:2018 is intended to raise the standard of care and increase levels of quality, thereby stimulating organizational maturity and competition for the delivery of Facility management.
The benefits of an integrated system standard for Facility Management System Certification include:
- improved workforce productivity, safety and health and well-being;
- improved communication of requirements and methodologies among and between public and private sector organizations;
- improved efficiency and effectiveness, thus improving cost benefits to organizations;
- improved service consistency
- providing a common platform for all types of organizations.
ISO 41001:2018 is applicable to any organization that wishes to:
- establish, implement, maintain and improve an integrated FM system;
- assure itself of conformity with its stated management policy;
- demonstrate conformity with this document by:
- making a self-determination and self-declaration;
- seeking confirmation of its conformity by parties having an interest in the organization;
- seeking confirmation of its self-declaration by a party external to the organization;
- seeking certification/registration of its FM system by an accredited third-party certification body.